There are five types of spondylolisthesis
Grade II = if the slip is between 25% and 50%, then you are said to have a grade II spondylolisthesis.
How Is Spondylolisthesis Diagnosed?
Degenerative spondylolisthesis is usually the result of age and "wear and tear" on the spine that breaks down vertebral components. It is different from isthmic spondylolisthesis in that there is no bone defect. Spinal stenosis tends to occur in the early stages of degenerative spondylolisthesis.
Those who play sports, especially gymnasts and football players, are more likely to have spondylolisthesis. The condition most often affects people over 40 years of age. About 5% of Americans have this structural deficiency and don't know it. Just because it appears on an X-ray doesn't mean you'll have pain.
spondylolisthesis: when one vertebra slips forward on another.
Some people with spondylolisthesis are symptom free and only discover the disorder when seeing a doctor for another health problem. However, the forward slip of the vertebral body in severe cases of degenerative spondylolisthesis often leads to spinal stenosis, nerve compression, pain and neurological injury.
Many patients with spondylolisthesis will have vague symptoms and very little visible deformity. Often, the first physical sign of spondylolisthesis is tightness of the hamstring muscles in the legs. Only when the slip reaches more than 50 percent of the width of the vertebral body will there begin to be a visible deformity of the spine.
We treat more than 600 patients with spondylolisthesis each year.
is a degenerative spondylolisthesis, and occurs as a result of the degeneration of the lumbar facet joints. The alteration in these joints can allow forward or backward vertebral displacement. This type of spondylolisthesis is most often seen in older patients. In Type III, degenerative spondylolisthesis there is no pars defect and the vertebral slippage is never greater than 30%.
, traumatic spondylolisthesis, is associated with acute fracture of a posterior element (pedicle, lamina or facets) other than the pars interarticularis.
5 Myerding HW. Spondylolisthesis. Surg Gynecol Obstet. 54:371, 1932.
L5 S1 Spondylolisthesis Spinal Fusion
Grade III = if the slip is between 50% and 75%, then you are said to have a grade III spondylolisthesis.
I had an L5-S1 fusion for spondylolisthesis almost two years ago.
Grade IV = if the slip is between 75% and 100%, then you are said to have a grade IV spondylolisthesis.
L5-S1 Spondylolisthesis: Failed Pain Management
Therefore, we can easily classic this defect as a Type II-B isthmic spondylolisthesis.
Note the grade II spondylolisthesis of L5 on S1 and ..
62) Gehrchen PM, Dahl B, Katonis P, et al. No difference in clinical outcomes after posterolateral lumbar fusion between patients with isthmic spondylolisthesis and those with degenerative disc disease using pedicle screw instrumentation. Eur Spine J 2002; 11:423-427.
Spondylolysis and Spondylolisthesis; ..
59) Jacobsen S, Sonne-Holm S, Rovsing H, et al. Degenerative lumbar spondylolisthesis: in epidemiological perspective. The Copenhagen osteoarthritis study. Spine 2007;32:120-125.
Spondylolysis and Spondylolisthesis of the Lumbar …
58) Iguchi T, Wakami T, Kurihara A, et al. Lumbar multilevel degenerative spondylolisthesis: radiological evaluation and factors related to anterolisthesis and retrolisthesis. J Spinal Disord Tech 2002; 15:93-99.
MRI scan of Grade IV L5-S1 spondylolisthesis
65) Longo UG, Loppini M, Romeo G, et al. Evidence-based surgical management of spondylolisthesis: reduction or arthrodesis in situ. J Bone Joint Surg (Am) 2014;96:53-58.
Spondylolisthesis | Spine Institute of San Diego
53) McCarroll JR, Miller JM, Ritter MA. Lumbar spondylolysis and spondylolisthesis in college football players: a prospective study. Am J Sports Med 1986; 14:404-406.
My Lumbar Spinal Fusion for Spondylolisthesis L5 S1 - YouTube
50) Toueg CW, Mac-Thiong JM, Grimard G, et al. Prevalence of spondylolisthesis in a population of gymnasts. Stud Health Technol Inform 2010;158:132-137.
Spondylolisthesis In Adults - Orthospine
49) Fischgrund JS, Mackay M, Herkowitz HN, et al. 1997 Volvo award in clinical studies. Degenerative lumbar spondylolisthesis with spinal stenosis: a prospective, randomized study comparing decompressive laminectomy and arthrodesis with and without spinal instrumentation. Spine 1997; 22:2807-2812.
"I have always been impressed by the quick turnaround and your thoroughness. Easily the most professional essay writing service on the web."
"Your assistance and the first class service is much appreciated. My essay reads so well and without your help I'm sure I would have been marked down again on grammar and syntax."
"Thanks again for your excellent work with my assignments. No doubts you're true experts at what you do and very approachable."
"Very professional, cheap and friendly service. Thanks for writing two important essays for me, I wouldn't have written it myself because of the tight deadline."
"Thanks for your cautious eye, attention to detail and overall superb service. Thanks to you, now I am confident that I can submit my term paper on time."
"Thank you for the GREAT work you have done. Just wanted to tell that I'm very happy with my essay and will get back with more assignments soon."